Skip to main content

Tools in Revolt

I'm having a couple of days where my tools and I are just not getting along.

I've been working on a fine-gauge reversible lace scarf. It is a lovely thing, indeed; all 75,000 stitches, 60 hours, and 97 repeats of 5 multiples of pattern. I finished it and blocked it, using the beautiful bronze Lacis blocking wires I wrote about previously. I used my typical method for blocking: thread blocking wires through the edges, pin onto mat, spray with water, ignore overnight. In less than 24 hours, the bronze oxidized and left blue-green stains on the edges of the ivory-colored scarf.


Sigh.

Fortunately, I was able to dig up some stain-removal information (thank you, Internet). The key was lemon juice and salt. I purchased half a dozen lemons at the grocery store. Once I squeezed them, I was armed with a cup of fresh juice. I laid the scarf in a glass baking dish, spooned lemon juice along the stained edge, and then salted. It worked! It took multiple iterations, as the whole scarf did not fit in a baking dish, but at least it worked. I then soaked and reblocked the scarf by simply spreading it on the mat (without pins or wires) and ignoring it for two days.

I'm not sure what to do about the bronze blocking rods. I did take some brass cleaner to them, and they are all shiny and lovely again. I am wondering if I should spray them with clear coat? Or should I just clean them after every use? Or maybe it is time to retire them and look yet again for better blocking wires?

Today I tried to register for the TKGA show next month in Charleston, SC. But I'm having trouble doing that. I wonder if the universe is telling me to skip that show?

So I decide to go cast-on my next project. And this happened.


Yes, the cable pulled out of my Kollage square needle. I've had this happen before with Knit Picks needles. In fact, at this point I sort of expect my Knit Picks cables to pull out unless I've re-glued them. But I did not expect my Kollage needles to do this. (It is worth noting these are the older version that was manufactured in China, not the current version made in the United States in Alabama.) Calling all adhesive chemists! Will someone please make a better long-term adhesive for circular needles?

First world problems.

I think I'll go eat some chocolate.

Comments

Angelfire212 said…
I have had similar problems over the past year - something about moving that made a bunch of my needles decide to break! I've broken more needles this year than since I learned to knit 12 years ago! Sometimes I think we all have those periods of time where things fall apart. Then everything shifts again and all is well with the world. At least we know that "it came to pass..." :)