Skip to main content

Crocheted Violets


I must admit, this is another of those projects that probably doesn't have enough "Wow!" factor given the amount of time.

The pattern comes from a 1989 Annie's Attic pamphlet titled "My Wild Irish Bows." As you might guess from the name, the collection of seven designs are all hair accessories worked in traditional Irish crochet motifs. The samples in the booklet were worked entirely in white size 10 crochet cotton, with the exception of one project worked in size 5 crochet cotton. I got the pamphlet at a North Georgia Knitting Guild meeting. I believe the guild library was destashing. Since this booklet is all crochet projects, it didn't really fit in.

For some reason, I looked at the project labeled "Flower Fall" and thought it looked like a spray of African violets. I decided to work it in color. I finished the little violets in short order (using a 1.65mm metal crochet hook). But then I tried the leaves and wasn't happy with the pattern as written. The project sat for a couple years. Every once in awhile I would open my crochet hook case and think I had lost the #7 metal hook. Then I would dig through the unfinished projects pile and discover the bag with the hook, pattern booklet, skeins of size 5 embroidery cotton, and pile of purple flowers.

In an effort to open up more space on the shelves, I was looking for a quick-to-finish project out of the unfinished pile. Of course, I did not realize this would not be a quick-to-finish project until after I was well into the quagmire. I ended up changing the leaves to work them in knitting on US size 0000 needles/1.25mm rather than using crochet. They are worked in versa lace, but without any yarn overs. In other words, they are worked in 1×1 ribbing. Rather than making crochet chains for the dangling leaves, I worked the cords on a hairpin lace loom, using it as if it were a lucet. This produced dangles that look good on both sides, although the ones with flowers have a definite right-side and wrong-side.

After all of the crocheting and knitting, I still needed to assemble the pieces. Just like Percy the Polar Bear, this project was very much about spending lots of time using loose ends to carefully join pieces. It probably took 3-5 hours just to attach all the flowers, and then another 3-4 hours to attach all the little yellow beads.

The final result is about 4½ inches wide by 8 inches tall. It is finished except for attaching it to a barrette or hair comb, and then weaving in the last few loose ends from the leaves. The final aesthetic result is walking a line. Is it pretty enough to wear, or will it be too kitchy?

My guess is I have probably 30-40 hours of work in this thing. But, at least it is no longer taking up space on the shelf. And it has improved my appreciation for Irish crochet. To anyone who is thinking about making one of these for a formal affair such as a prom or wedding, give yourself plenty of time. You probably don't want to commit to making a bunch of them for the bridesmaids.

Comments