Skip to main content

Be nice

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Election Day. I'll be at my usual post working election returns for Cobb County. Yes, I do expect to be home after midnight, but I'm planning on taking a nap tomorrow afternoon and sleeping in on Wednesday morning.

I just wanted to remind people that I know the waiting in line and all will be a pain. I don't have to remind ya'all to vote, 'cause you know that already. But do remember that, in Cobb County at least, the poll workers work the whole dang day. That means they are there at 6 AM to set everything up so the poll will open at 7 AM. They are there the whole day -- they are not permitted to leave the polling place. Everyone who is in line at 7 PM gets to vote. After everyone has voted, then the poll needs to be closed down, evidence printed and recorded, results transmitted, and items returned to the county election office. For some polls, it will be another two hours or more from when the last ballot is cast to when the poll managers can finally head for home and well-earned rest or a good drink. So please be extra special nice to the people working your poll, especially if you are voting late in the day. Their hard work makes the democracy possible.

Comments