Skip to main content

An Experiment with I-Cord

I've been doing a lot of travel lately, including Fiber Forum, STITCHES South, Maryland Sheep and Wool, and Middle Tennessee Fiber Festival. Thus, the time gap on the blog. I did want to share my current experiment. This is an alternative method for attaching i-cord. It uses Rick Mondragon's sliding loop intarsia technique combined with Gwen Bortner's method for picking up reversibly on an edge. I've talked about Rick's technique before. To knit up on an edge reversibly, Gwen picks up by knit 1, yarn over rather than all knits. The yarn overs create a second layer of fabric. Gwen's method is especially suited to transitioning to 1x1 ribbing, double knitting, or brioche. I'm also knitting back backwards and I'm working the 6-stitch i-cord using Beverly Royce's method for tubular double-knitting. In this case, I am working left to right alternating knit 1, slip 1 with yarn in front; then working right to left alternating purl 1, slip 1 with yarn in back.

 

I'm not sure this is perfect, and I haven't blocked it yet. Also, I should add that the body of the project was worked in size US 7/ 4.5mm needles. The i-cord was worked with size US 2/ 2.75mm needles. As this method involves working two rounds of i-cord for every one stitch picked up, you will definitely need to fiddle with the gauge differences to get a result that doesn't ruffle.

I do think this edging might be nice on a blanket, especially a modular one based on quilt patterns. I turned the corners by working short rounds, rather than short rows. Also, this edging is hollow. It could work as the top of a skirt or yoga pants, as you could run a cord or elastic through the tube. I may be using this project as a cover for a circular piano stool that belonged to my great grandmother. I hope by running a cord through the edging, I can cinch this cover over the top of the stool.

Comments

plnc said…
Love It - once again :-) Pam