Skip to main content

A Hug For Your Feet?


Alpaca slippers from Lanart

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the things I have missed in this year of no in-person fiber festivals is the marketplace. I haven't yet seen anyone reproduce online the random joy of strolling a fiber festival. For me, that joy is more than discovering new products, beautiful yarns, and clever businesses. I see many of the vendors over and over again at different venues. I may not know them all, but they are part of my community. They are like the identifiable cars you see on your morning commute. Maybe you've never met that person, but you know that red car with the zoo bumper sticker and the vanity license plate. You see it in traffic at least twice a week, driving some of the same roads you do. It is a kindred spirit.

Sales figures show our shopping habits have changed. For example, people are buying fewer pants and shoes. I have to admit, I've spent most of this year with my feet tucked into my fluffy alpaca slippers. I bought them maybe five years ago from one of the local alpaca farms? I don't recall which farm. The slippers are beginning to show wear. And since I've done more shuttling between Georgia and Maryland this year, I thought it would be good if I finally indulged and had one pair at each residence.

The problem, of course, was that I didn't remember where I bought the slippers. In a normal year, I'd just wait for the next fiber festival. Somebody would have fluffy alpaca slippers. Heck, if all else failed, I'd surely find a pair at Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair. But this year is a different year. After some unsuccessful poking around on Etsy, I sat down and thought.

I remembered Lanart. I've seen them at multiple events over the years. They have alpaca products — socks, scarves, blankets, plush, felted ornaments. In fact, I purchased a wolf in sheep's clothing ornament from them in at SAFF in 2016. Sure enough, they have alpaca fur slippers. Sweet!

When I originally visited the website, the slippers were out of stock in my size. A couple weeks later, they were in stock. I ordered a pair in my size, and chose 2nd-day priority mail shipping through USPS. In spite of the current slowness with the post office, my slippers arrived promptly.

I must say, these are lovely. They arrived packaged in an organza bag. And there was even a cute alpaca pen! The slippers look to be well-constructed. They are definitely warm. And they can even be turned inside-out to have the fur on the inside. They are a little pricey — $115 plus shipping. And there was no way I could see to chose colors. But they would be a thoughtful gift, especially for someone who is home all the time. No excuse for cold feet with these!

A reminder — please take a moment to think of the vendors you see at the festivals. If you can, buy something from them. This has been a difficult year for so many in our community. Please support the small businesses that make the crafting community the special group it is.



Comments

John hicksh said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.