Skip to main content

Something Accomplished

I finally finished a knit project this year. Actually, two projects.

As I previewed in progress last month, I've now finished my drink carriers. These are the very first items I've knit in 2023, other than the sample socks for Blue Ridge Fiber Fest.

Something I've learned: a drink caddy is essentially a sock with a flat circular toe, no heel turn, and a strap at the top. Implication — if you see a sock pattern you like but you only want one, you can turn it into a drink holder instead.

Both pattern are worked in versa lace. You could, of course, work them in regular lace. The advantage of versa lace in this case is the stretch. Linen yarn is not elastic. That's great in the strap. Having a little give in the holder is nice, as it makes the cozy "grip" the mug or water bottle. And the versa lace provides more room for error or, alternatively, allows the cozy to fit a wider range of bottles and travel mugs.

The spiral holder was the easier of the two to make. It is essentially my Wonderful Whirled pattern. Work a few rounds to grow the bottom, then work continuously without adding stitches. Due to the spiral pattern, the beginning of round keeps shifting. This doesn't matter. Let the beginning of round marker keep shifting.

The other holder was slower to make. It uses paired double-yarn-overs with a reversible double-decrease in the center. Yup, it sounds slow. It is slow. And it doesn't have as much stretch as the spiral. It still works.

My Introduction to Versa Lace class is one of six classes I'm teaching at Pittsburgh Creative Arts Festival later this month. It will be nice to have two new versa lace items to show.

I've also just signed on for six classes at Shenandoah Valley Fiber Fest in September.

Four of my six classes are sold out at New York Sheep and Wool Festival (a.k.a. Rhinebeck). There are still spaces in Introduction to Versa Lace and Now How Do I Finish?

If you want the whole smorgasbord of reversible techniques, come see me at John C. Campbell Folk School in May 2024. 

Not yet ready for registration, I do plan to teach at Kanuga Knitting and Quilting Retreat in January. I'm developing an entrelac class. As this is me, you know I'll cover more than just the traditional methods for entrelac.

As many of you know, 2023 has been a very hectic year for me. I have literally, not exaggerating, spent half of this year away from home. Consequently, I am already scaling back for 2024. I've decided not to attend Carolina Fiber Fest. I may skip some other shows next year as well. If there's something I'm teaching and you would like to learn it, please come join me!

Comments