Skip to main content

October without SAFF

Well, here we are in October. For us southeastern crafters, we should be coming up on Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair. But we all know what happened to Asheville on 27 September 2024. I had expected to spend this week planning and packing and driving up to the mountains for a lovely weekend with friends.

This year SAFF and Rhinebeck were again scheduled for the same weekend. I understand that beginning next year, SAFF is on the fourth weekend for a decade. That means 10 years of Rhinebeck weekend followed by SAFF weekend. The world is slowly moving back into alignment.

Dragon side

In anticipation of SAFF, I worked diligently and monogamously on Dragons' Lore. This is the two-faced double-knit scarf designed by Rik Schell of Purl's Yarn Emporium. I purchased the scarf kit in January when I was nearby at Kanuga. I'd had nearly annual conversations with Rik at SAFF. I knew he had developed an alternative way of working two-faced double-knits. I decided for my week of reversible knitting techniques at John C. Campbell Folk School, I should find out more about Rik's technique. Buying the kit and knitting the scarf was a good way to learn it.

First, Rik's technique is clever and excellent. I discuss it in my class on double-faced double-knitting, which I usually teach under the name "Practical Double-Knitting" or "Legible Double-Knitting," since the technique can make names and words readable from both sides in double-knitting. I don't teach that class often, since it is an advanced double-knitting class — i.e. previous experience with double-knitting is a prerequisite. If you see it on my schedule, be sure to sign up. If you don't want to wait, buy one of Rik's kits.

Lore side

Beware of Dragons' Lore. This is one of the most technically challenging knits I have ever completed. There are sections with three colors. While I tried multiple ways of holding three colors, I did not arrive at a solution. Because of the three colors, the gauge of the scarf shifts a bit. I noticed this in my scarf as well as Rik's sample. There are sections where you need to carry one or two colors a long way. It is tricky to get the tension correct. The scarf blocked out some, but the yarn is both cotton and wool. I gave it a good soak. Sadly, the red bled, probably because the scarf refused to dry out. After letting it sit a whole day in the bathroom, I ended up cooking it in a hot dryer without tumbling. It took three hours to get almost dry.

Another thing I discovered is I very much had yarn dominance. Like the tension challenge or the three-yarn challenge, no matter what I tried or how carefully or slowly I worked, I couldn't shake it. If you attempt this project, keep all your yarns in the same order the whole time.

My completed project would not pass the bar for Master Knitter. However, I am not sorry I made it. I am looking forward to wearing it at a fiber festival where other knitters will wonder, "How did you do that?"

Comments