- Almost 2.5 kilometers of yarn, or about 1.5 miles.
- Over 550g of yarn, so more than half a kilogram and more than one pound.
- Size 2mm/US 0 needle long enough to hold 380cm/150 inches worth of stitches.
- 234,336 stitches
- About 225 hours over two months
- Designed on the needles.
- A win at yarn chicken — 2g leftover of 557g total.
The item is expected to appear in a magazine in early 2027. For the moment, here's a detail.
I plan to write more about this when the magazine becomes available.
That project took up most of my time in June and July. I am grateful to have good knitting technique. I eventually figured out that sitting at the kitchen table was not a good way to knit. Once I moved into the living room and started sitting in a padded gamer's chair, things got better. I also used a small antique footstool to keep my knees, hips, and legs comfortable. Finally, the lighted magnifying glass was very helpful. By positioning it well, I could keep myself knitting in a position what was not detrimental to my hands, wrists, and arms. If my hands started to drift, then I wasn't aligned with the magnifier anymore. I had a therapeutic massage at the end of July. Both the practitioner and I agreed that I didn't have tension in my hands and arms. This is a reminder to everyone — unless you have something very wrong with your body, knitting should not hurt. If it does, talk to a medical professional who can help you knit sustainably.
I'm now playing catch-up as the summer ebbs.
I wanted to call attention to several upcoming events, including a couple festivals where I will be teaching. I should note that I'm putting in fewer proposals recently, as I refocus my life on some things that have simply waited too long for attention.
I'll be at Dallas-Fort Worth Fiber Festival at the end of August. I'll be teaching my "Stunt Knitting Safety Lines" class, which is a sort of tips and tricks class. I'll also be teaching the rare "Looping Back" class covering the wide range of uses for Rick Mondragon's sliding loop intarsia technique. That technique is the basis of the never-ending blanket that can start as a baby blanket and grow with the child. I'll also teach "Introduction to Versa Lace" (my signature technique), "Scheherazade Intarsia" (a nice intarsia introduction including a deep dive into the knit front and back increase), and "Illusions in Shadows" (featuring my solution for working reversibly). DFW Fiber Fest is a fantastic festival — nice organizers, excellent classes, wonderful market. I know I will enjoy it despite it being the weekend before DragonCon. Also, I will have the epic lace project with me at that show. The yarn is from Miss Babs, who wil be in attendance. I'm looking forward to showing her the finished object and thanking her for the yarn support.
After skipping three years of teaching, I'll be back at Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair. I have a full schedule including "Stunt Knitting Safety Lines," "Small Rounds + Two at a Time," "Scheherazade Intarsia," "Looping Back," "Knit Faster with Combination Knitting," "Now How Do I Finish?, " "Oops! Now What Do I Do?," and "Introduction to Versa Lace."
There are some fun things happening in the knitting world.
Center for Knit and Crochet will celebrate 10 years since putting together the Sanquhar Glove exhibition. Both curators will be available for an online lecture on Sunday 16 August 2026 from 2-3:30 PM. You can learn more and register here. Be sure to scroll down to the "upcoming" section. You may remember, I knit a very large version purely for educational purposes.
PURL magazine's first issue drops in just a few days. Based on how good PLY and WEFT have been, I am very excited about this project. If you didn't back the Kickstarter, you can get a subscription on the PURL magazine website here.
Summer isn't yet over, but already I feel 2026 closing in on the fast slide from DragonCon through Peachtreat, SAFF, and the end-of year holidays.

Comments