I am to the point of trying things out on BSJ just for the sake of seeing what happens. For a change of pace, I used a Debbie New's double increase instead of the make 1 left and right Elizabeth Zimmermann recommends. I also changed the double-decrease to a mitered double-decrease.
Furthermore, I decided to add an edging that I unvented on the Bamboo kimono. This is a faux crab stitch edging in that it has some of the twisty quality of crab stitch, but without using a crochet hook. To the right of the button detail, the verdigris with lavender row is the edging. This is a 2-stitch i-cord made from purl 1, ssk. The purl stitches become the twisty bits and the ssk form a chain stitch wale. I think this would be a great edge on sample afghan blocks, as the border would set them off but the chain stitch would make for easier seaming.