Skip to main content

What Was I Thinking?

The game master asks, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

This is a running joke between Cuddly Hubby and me. Cuddly Hubby is a benevolent role-playing game master. He is not trying to get the player characters into mortal danger. Danger, yes, as that is part of the game. But he wants everyone to have a good time. Having your 12th-level elf cleric bludgeoned to death in two rounds by a hill giant does not a happy gaming session make. If a player is about to make a decision that is maybe not the smartest thing to do, Cuddly Hubby will ask, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

Sometimes life needs a little pop up to say, "Are you sure you want to do that?" (I also need an iPhone app to say, "Don't listen to the Garmin! That way lies traffic madness.")

Back in October, I decided to spin a pound of lace weight yarn. I spun all during Spinzilla. I took a bit of a break going into the holidays. Then I heard there were people trying to spin for fifteen minutes every day in 2017. I liked that idea. That would be a way to make steady progress and keep up the spinning mojo. So that's what I did. I spun for at least fifteen minutes every day, except the couple weekends when I was away teaching. I did this through January. I did this through February. And I did this through March.

A pound of lace weight yarn on a Majacraft overdrive head.
At the end of March I finally finished the yarn. It took more than an hour just to wind it off the bobbin and up onto the swift, and that was with my super-nice Strauch free-standing swift. The skein is so large I could only soak it, rather than finish it in the steamer. It took three hours to wind it into a ball. If my measurements are correct, this is about 1½ miles/2.4 km of yarn, or about 3 miles/4.8 km of singles. Yes, this is almost the 5K of spinning.

Success!
My thought was to make a reversible lace circle jacket. Reversible lace takes twice as much yarn, hence my interest in having a whole pound of fiber rather than merely eight ounces. This is so fine I am wondering if I would be better off putting it on the loom instead? Or I could just go for a giant circle shawl after all. There's enough yardage to be sure it is big and spectacular.

After I finished it, I took about a week off from spinning. Now I'm on to another project. But I must ask of you, dear readers and friends; if I ever say, "I think I'll spin lace weight from a pound of fiber," please, please, please look me straight in the eyes and ask, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

Comments