Skip to main content

Cold Day

Some places have snow days. Today isn't a snow day here, but it is a cold day. The temperature in Mableton right now is below freezing. This is in the middle of a sunny afternoon. A typical mid-winter day in Atlanta involves dipping just below freezing overnight but climbing into the mid-40s Fahrenheit during the day. I have no idea how much snow removal equipment is owned by Cobb County, but I've heard tell that the city of Atlanta has a -- yes, one single -- snow plow. I'm sure it is meant only for emergencies.

Cuddly Hubby advised me to stay indoors today, and I've taken his advice. The house needed a good cleaning, and all the moving about kept me warmer. I put five Christmas CDs in the player, lit some frankincense and myrrh incense, dug out the wrapping paper, and went to work on wrapping the gifts for the nephews and niece. And now I'm here, at the computer, with a nice cup of hot chocolate to keep me company. Even the cats are hiding someplace warm. (I think Brûlée is upstairs on the master bed. Not sure where Vincent is, as he is usually sprawled across the computer if I'm trying to type.)

I have been knitting. Last week I finished what is probably one of my most beautiful finished objects to date. I don't think I realized how beautiful it was until I thought about how many people admired it while it was a work in progress and since it has been finished. As this one is probably good enough for prime time, I'll regretfully keep it off the blog and off Ravelry for the present. However, if you would like to see the white scarf with double-knit cables, it is on display at The Whole Nine Yarns. Alas, since it is in the shop, I'm not currently curling up in its confection-light warmth. It took five skeins of Rowan Kid Silk Haze. The little 3g ball is all that's left. I will try to remember to bring the scarf to show and tell at both the December NGKG meeting this week and the January AKG meeting. If you would like to knit it yourself, I'll be teaching the class on Saturday the 29th of January. Knowing how to double knit is a pre-requisite, so I'll be teaching double knitting on the 15th of January.

Comments