Skip to main content

More Than One Way to Skin a Sweater: Cuff to Cuff

The pattern for this adorable baby sweater comes from Suzan Mischer et al Greetings from Knit Cafe. In fact, I bought the book simply for this one pattern, "Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater" by Judy Spector, pp. 60-63. Proof of the quality of the pattern -- Ms. Spector includes the cable cast-on and the slipped selvedge stitch in her instructions so that the ties look very nice indeed. I knit this simply for the pleasure of knitting it, using some stash yarn orphaned from a larger project. I have no clue whose baby will eventually wear this reversible sweater.

It is a charming example of a sweater that is knit cuff to cuff in a combination of honeycomb and garter stitches. In this case, it is cast on at the end of one of the ties, worked sideways with appropriate increases or decreases, and cast off at the end of the other tie. I used waste yarn to leave openings for the sleeves, which were added after the body was finished. The pattern called for seaming the sleeves by picking up stitches and working a 3-needle bind-off, but I knit them in the round. I did, however, slip the beginning stitch of the round every-other row to create a false seam across the top of the sweater. This also worked well because the honeycomb stitch did not lend itself to being knit in the round as readily as I would have liked.

The pattern in the book was worked in a single-colored yarn. I substituted Knit One, Crochet Too Paintbox in color #13 Blackberry. It is meant to be a competitor to Noro Kureyon, but in quieter colors for those for find the Noro colorways leaning towards garish. I've managed to squirrel away quite a bit of this stuff in my stash. It looks better knit up than on the ball, so it tends to be overlooked in the shops. And some colors of Paintbox will wet-splice and felt well. So if you don't live in the Atlanta area, try this yarn. If you do, please just ignore this paragraph, or leave some Paintbox for me.

Comments