Skip to main content

Useful

I've mentioned to several people that this blog is partly for the world at large -- and the world at small, such as my students or customers who have purchased a pattern. But the blog is also a place for me to write stuff down so I can find it later. More than once I've come back to a project or been working on a new project and realized that something I've done previously might be a great idea. I then dig up my notes (did I make any?) and attempt to decipher what I did. Failing that, time to reinvent!

With that in mind, today I'm posting merely about where to find something.

I find myself consistently needing to go back and look something up on This Week in Ravelry. At this time, the "weekly" newsletter has pretty much fallen away. But, I still find myself needing to reference old issues. I am especially fond of the "Ask a Knitter" column by Rox, as it is full of useful tidbits! So, if you are looking for old This Week in Ravelry newsletters, the index is here.

I can also recommend the Crochet Corner, written by Sandyhook. I don't crochet often, but I do know how. There are some new and wonderfully innovative techniques in crochet. My problem is that I don't crochet often enough to remember them. One great technique is a no-chain double crochet. This allows you to avoid chaining at the beginning of a row or round, and thus you don't have a first stitch that is clearly an imposter when compared to the others. It is also a way to work multicolored crochet in the round without having a jog. Sweet!

Faux (no-chain) double crochet (as well as popcorn stitch) can be found here.
Color change no-chain double-crochet can be found here.
Hairpin lace can be found here.
Foundation single crochet stitches here.

I'm working on a project right now in which I did incorporate hairpin lace.

And for the foundation crochet stitches, I must say, why aren't we taught this from the start? When my paternal grandmother taught me to crochet, she always worked the foundation chain and the first row/round or two before handing the work to me. Working into that chain is such a pain! And if you need to chain many, many stitches for an afghan, it is so annoying to chain, work that first row, and then discover you miscounted the chain. Time to rip it all out and start again! Foundation crochet stitches take you away from those issues. It is a much more pleasant way to start your work. It might even make you want to set down the knitting needles and crochet (a little).

Comments