Skip to main content

Why Tubular

I recently acquired a free skein of yarn and pattern. I could have tossed it in the stash, but I figured a one-skein hat pattern could be knit up almost as fast as I could put it away. And, really, I am trying to keep the stash at a manageable size. As it was, I cast-on one day and finished the hat the next.


The pattern is Oh Yum, Bubblegum Slouchy Hat by Eleanor Swogger and the yarn is Kraemer Yarns Perfection Tapas in color 9038 Elderberry. By the way, they do have an adorable commercial featuring a car sweater on YouTube.

I'll probably toss the hat in the guild charity pile. I don't typically wear hats all that much. Plus, I have a cloak with hood that I plan to wear a lot whenever the cool weather returns to Atlanta (probably not until October). At this point in the year, we've had 95°F weather for so long I don't remember when it wasn't summer. (I do love that summer is five months long in Atlanta.)


I did want ya'all to notice I used a tubular cast-on for the 1×1 ribbing. In this case, I used a crochet chain cast-on with waste yarn to cast on half the needed number of stitches. With project yarn I knit across the waste yarn. Then I worked k1 off the needle, p1 in the purl bump on the wrong side (similar to making a tuck stitch) to get into 1×1 ribbing. That also doubled the number of stitches so I could reach what was called for in the pattern. This edge is equivalent to a bind-off of Kitchener grafting over 1×1 ribbing. The edge is also stretchy and in pattern. In fact, it hardly looks like a cast-on at all, as the ribbing seems to simply spring into existence. While these details are not absolutely necessary, it was good to get in some practice. I should be able to reproduce these couture details on a project that calls out for this level of attention, such as a sweater. This technique would also be worth trying on top-down socks.

Comments