Skip to main content

It's Not Stash — It's Emergency Preparedness

Well, I was supposed to be teaching at Carolina Fiber Fest this weekend. We thought we'd get in one final fiber fest before the apocalypse. Instead, I spent Thursday driving up to Raleigh and Friday driving back from Raleigh. I've spent most of today in my pajamas and either knitting or playing with the fusion engine drum carder. Fifteen hours of driving and no interactions with students or fiber goodies or paycheck to show for the effort does not make for a happy crafter.

On the plus side, Varian Brandon split the cost of the hotel room with me. We got to catch up and I got to see the lovely Fair Isle cross she is knitting for an art exhibit scheduled during Holy Week. And gas is under $2 a gallon. And the Indian food at the restaurant at the Ramada is dang good.

If you are a regular visitor to this website, you may have noticed the link to STITCHES United is gone. Yes, STITCHES United is canceled. I even put an EZ Pass in my car so I could drive the New Jersey turnpike to go teach at that show. Sigh.

Since it seems we are all staying home and waiting for the coronavirus to weaken, what do I consider appropriate supplies beyond the usual food and toiletries and a generous selection of hot tea and chocolate?

An appropriate game, such as Pandemic:

Notice this is a cooperative game, where the players either all succeed or all fail.

An appropriate knitting bag:



This was a gift some years back from my friend Camille.

Plenty of knitting:



Thank you to Meg, who was offloading this project at the Atlanta Knitting Guild meeting earlier this month. I've had to go buy more yarn to complete the scarf, but I am thoroughly enjoying a mindless project while I catch up on auto-recorded curling matches. If you crochet, the Virus shawl would, of course, be the perfect pattern for this moment. I find that if I am crafting, I am both washing my hands frequently to keep them clean and not touching my face.

If you need a break from crafting, you could read something from Max Brooks such as this:



My autographed copy was acquired last year at Awesome Con, when Max Brooks and medical professionals had a panel and talked about the dangers of a global pandemic and the importance of being prepared for a public health emergency. You can download a pdf here. Or if you prefer fiction, listen to the unabridged audio recording of World War Z. Spoiler alert: the zombie apocalypse virus starts in China.

For years many of us have joked that we have stash just in case we ever need to be holed up in our homes. Well, here we are. Time to knit from the stash.

Wishing that everyone stays safe and well through this pandemic.

Comments