Skip to main content

A Better Mask

I think we are all learning that a mask can be a fashion accessory.  It took me a while to find one I liked. I started out with an accordion-fold mask, but it didn't quite accommodate my prominent pointy nose. Eventually, I found a hand-dyed cotton mask on Etsy from one of the teachers who was going to be at Blue Ridge Fiber Fest. (I think it was WAXON studio.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I did want to point out something about her design that I like very much — the single strap. The default I see commonly is two small straps that fit around the ears. While many people like those, I'm not a fan. After a little while, the elastic irritates the back of my ears. The one-strap design means the strap goes around behind my head. I find it to be much more comfortable. Another advantage is I can pull the mask on over my head and leave it hanging around my neck. This is handy if I am running errands. I can pull the mask down around my neck while I drive, then pop it up into position when I leave my car to enter a store. And I'm less likely to lose my mask if it is hanging around my neck.

And it is easy to retrofit a two-strap mask. 

You probably want a slightly stretchy material. The strap on this mask appears to be a strip of commercial knit fabric. The strip is a little under an inch wide and less than two feet long. It looks like a cord because the knit fabric curls. Old t-shirts or undershirts might work. Or you could always knit up a couple feet of i-cord, especially if you have an i-cord mill. 

The cord is threaded down one side and up the other side, and then both ends are tied together. The tie allows you to adjust the mask to your head the first time you wear it. After that, I haven't needed to readjust.

If your ears are unhappy, consider changing this:


to this:

Wishing everyone stays safe, well, comfortable, and fashionable, all at the same time!

Comments