Skip to main content

A Little Flirty & a Little Sultry

There's something about 2020. Everything seems to take longer. Everything seems to be just a bit more difficult.

Back at STITCHES Salt Lake in October 2019, I realized I needed more samples in the market. I love versa lace. I need more people to see it. I noticed both Alasdair Post-Quinn and Xandy Peters have samples with several regular STITCHES vendors. Leading Men Fiber Arts kindly agreed to yarn support.

I had already made Wonderful Whirled. And I already had an idea for another jacket, this time in the more complicated feather and fan pattern. I figured I had a good foundation ready to go. And yet, everything seemed to take longer. I had worked out the proper increase scheme for a center-out circle in versa lace. That math didn't work in this stitch pattern. And when I went to write the pattern, it was an uphill battle. I can't even explain why. I took notes along the way. The design was based on a previous item. Yet somehow, it wasn't as simple as just dropping in a new stitch pattern and a fresh set of numbers.


On the upside, it turned out super cute. I used the mannequin rather than myself for the picture partly because it is easier for me to photograph and partly because this design is not flattering on my body. This design really needs a curvy, full-busted figure. The request was for a garment that would look good on a mannequin on a shelf along the top of the vendor booth. Consequently, I cropped the length to prevent long coattails in the back. In fact, the design is essentially a center-out octagon with different sections bound off at different times.

I was so annoyed with myself that I've put the pattern up on Ravelry for free. And because the yarn is from Leading Men Fiber Arts, I named the design Understudy. I like to think you can imagine this garment on a thespian lurking in the wings, waiting for her chance to step into the role.

If you download Understudy, please support an independent yarn dyer. The cancellation of shows and festivals has been hard on our industry. I haven't yet seen anyone put together a marketplace that captures the serendipity of wandering and discovering. And there is no way to fondle yarn through an internet connection.

Comments