Skip to main content

A Completion and a Mystery

I finished another of my mother's unfinished embroidery projects.

This one is a Just Nan pamphlet titled "Gloriana." My mother had a folder with a series of these. "Gabriella," "Serena," "Celeste," and "Angelique" are already framed and hanging in the house in Pennsylvania. Pamphlets for "Evangeline," "Grace," "Joy," "Hope," and "Liberty" are in the folder, along with the pamphlets for the completed angels. There's even a packet of beads and embellishments for "Liberty" stapled to the pamphlet.

The size of this image is 3 inches wide by 5½ inches high (7.5 by 14cm).

I thought "Gloriana" fit the series, but when I see her next to "Serena," I can tell they aren't quite the same scale. And how can I check her against the other angels, if they are framed on the wall 750 miles from here? Because there is a second finished copy of "Serena" in the folder.

The size of this image is 3½ inches wide by 6½ inches high (9 by 16.5cm).

Why is there a second finished but unframed "Serena?" Did my mother make this as a gift, but never gave it? There are two copies of some of the pamphlets. Was my mother and one of her friends making these? None of the angels have initials and dates, which was what my mother usually did.

"Gloriana" was almost complete. I spent about a week of evenings working on her. I worked her head and face. That required concentration because of the many partial stitches and three different colors in her hair. Even then, I think the whole head only took me three evenings. I worked the vertical white stitches on the wings. And I worked all the gold back stitching. My mother had already worked the beds within the dress, but I needed to add the beads at the bottom of the dress, the bottom of the wings, and in the halo. The sleeves had been worked incorrectly in a solid color. It took me about an hour to gently pick out the errant stitches. I spent one evening per sleeve re-stitching in the criss-cross pattern.

Now I have two more pictures that need to be framed. I definitely need to find a good embroidery framer.

Comments