Skip to main content

Exponent, Part 1


Well, 2018 really got away from me. This pattern, Exponent, was written for Christmas in July 2017. In fact, I wrote about it in two different posts in July 2017. I had a couple sample mini-skeins from festival goodie bags. It is fun to get yarn, but what are you going to do with only 10 yards? I worked Exponent as a hair accessory by starting with an encasement cast-on. But you could also start with a reversible pinhole cast-on and make a shower poof or a flower or a cat toy. It might be interesting to work this with a novelty yarn such as jelly yarn or wire. Or you could work it in Pantone's color of the year (living coral) and make a knitted coral.

Here is the basic version of the pattern:
encasement cast-on around the hair elastic
work a round of 1×1 ribbing
work a round of Y-increases in every stitch pair
repeat the plain round and the increase round until about half the yarn remains
bind off

Part of why it took so long to post the pattern was that I wanted to shoot new videos. I finally got to that at the beginning of this year.

I learned the encasement cast-on from Gwen Bortner at the very first STITCHES South in 2009. I've asked Gwen, and she confirms this is her own unvention, rather than something she found in a book.


If you prefer to make a cat toy or a shower poof, use the center-out reversible cast-on.


More video tutorials tomorrow.

Comments