Skip to main content

Farewell to The Whole Nine Yarns

Well, today is the last day The Whole Nine Yarns will be open.


It has been a privilege to be part of the community that Debi and the rest of the crew built over the years in Woodstock. Together we have supported each other through the happy and the sad, through projects that went well and projects that went to the great frog pond. We have celebrated the joys. And we have knit on through all adversity, as Elizabeth Zimmermann advised.

For more than a decade the shop has been my home away from home. In the last couple years I have been absent from knit nights, as the traffic to Woodstock and the time required became prohibitive. I've spent more weekends traveling for work or pleasure, so fewer opportunities to teach in the shop. But even when I was away for a month, going back to the shop was returning home, returning to someplace safe and warm and welcoming, someplace where there would always be hugs and comfort. I feel the loss a little bit right now. I am sure I will feel it more in the coming weeks as this loss transforms from being theoretical to being real.

So it is here I pause and say publicly, thank you for the opportunity to grow myself as a teacher and designer. I got my start at JoAnn's and then Purly Gates, but I really grew my skills at The Whole Nine Yarns. Thank you to Debi, of course, but also Karen, Jenna, Jan, Gabby, Terri, Maritza, Mariana, and anybody else I am forgetting. Thank you to the wonderful students I have had the joy of teaching.

The universe is saying, "Okay, Dumbo, time to put down the feather and fly on your own."

If you want to stay connected to this community, please join the One More Row Woodstock group on Ravelry. We will be meeting at the Copper Coin in Woodstock in the evening this Tuesday 19 February 2019.

Comments